Lake Information for Phelps Lake
Saturday63F / 41F
@ 6 mph
Lake Phelps is North Carolina's second largest natural lake. It is located in Washington County on the Albemarle-Pamlico Peninsula located between the Albemarle Sound and the Pamlico Sound. An Indian dugout canoe was found in the lake dating back nearly 4,400 years. Other artifiacts have been found around the area dating as early as 8,000 B.C.
Its origin has long puzzled scientists. Some say that its origin is underground springs, wave action, wind, a meteor, glacial activity or a peat burn. It is more or less a round shape.
The lake provides excellent shoreline bass fishing as well as good fishing for yellow perch and assorted sunfish.
April, May, October and November are the most productive times to fish Lake Phelps. Most of the fishing is done along the shoreline in areas dominated with "structure" such as flooded woodlands, marsh grass fringes, and lily pads. Many fishermen prefer anchoring their boats in these productive areas.
Businesses Located Nearby
- Ernie's Boat Canvas & Awning
- 101 Meadow Lake Cir - Jarvisburg, NC
- (252) 491-8279
- Privateer Boat Company
- 831 Us-264-Byp - Belhaven, NC
- (252) 943-3731
- Outer Banks Inflatable Boats
- 411 N Us Hwy 64, #A - Manteo, NC
- (252) 473-3480
- Pirates Cove Realty - Outer Banks Vacation Rentals
- 1 Sailfish Dr - Manteo, NC
- (252) 473-6800
- Elan Vacations
- 8624 Caratoke Hwy - Powells Point, NC
- (252) 491-8787
- Seaside Vacations
- 3852 N Croatan Hwy - Kitty Hawk, NC
- (252) 255-4999